Sunday, June 28, 2009

Grim Reaper Working Overtime

Is death just in the air, or what? In the last seven days we've lost Ed McMahon, Farah Fawcett, Michael Jackson and Billy Mays died today. On top of that, Walter Cronkite is reported to be gravely ill. Seems to be a bad week to be famous.

I normally wouldn't comment about this, but I am amazingly most moved by the sudden death of Billy Mays. One of my recent guilty pleasures has been the show Pitchmen on Discovery. It's the story of Mays and Anthony Sullivan and how they find and pitch products. High-brow television it ain't, but it was fun and I'll be sorry to see it go. For all his bluster in public, watching him on TV turned him into a real person. I guess you can't ask for more from putting yourself in the public eye like that.

No comments: